Initially 2021 IPL auction was supposed to be mega auction however the COVID-19 outbreaks force to shift the 2020 IPL from march to September. With less gap between the two successive season , BCCI postponed their plan of mega auction to 2022. Hence mini auction was decided for this year.
IPL franchises named their retention and release player in January where Punjab and RCB released most number of player and made themselves available a good purse before going to the auction.
Now let’s have look how auction was for all the teams:
- Mumbai Indians : Mumbai India has the best scouting and management team and they always maintain their core. Their hardly seems issue on their squad . They released NCN and get them back again in half of the prize they paid him last year. They are the most settled side by far.
2. Sunrisers Hyderabad : They are considered as one of the most consistent team of the IPL , their main issue is they have too many star overseas player in their squad which creates bit of problem whom to fit in the XI given that Skipper Warner and Rashid is sure to get go. Last year they opted for Saha to give them luxury to play one star overseas player resting Baristow . This year they dont released much player and in auction they went for Kedar Jadhav as wicket keeper batsman who can be alternative to Saha.
3. Chennai Super King : They might had poor outing in last year IPL but we all know the capability of MSD and his boys. For me they had the best auction by a far . With Just 1 overseas slot left they went for English All-rounder Moein Ali who can open the inning and can quick fire and we all know how good finisher he is and he can give 2-3 over as well. If chennai plays on chepuk then likes of Ali and Gowtham will give them more balance.
4. Delhi Daredevils : They are one of the busiest team on Auction table they already had issue of plenty of player available for the same position and they increased their issue adding Smith as well because the player like smith might have to warm the bench. They offered themselves more option which itself can be a big problem.
5. Rajasthan Royals : They needed the one who can support Jofra Archer as they always lack on this and perform poor in other 16 overs apart from Archer 4 . That’s the big reason they went hard for Chris Morris and spent whopping 16.25 cr . Biggest concern is morris fitness if he is fit to play all the games this a good buy and they went for Shivam Dube who can introduce fire works at the deaths. So, they had good auction as well.
6. Kolkata Knight Riders : They too had retain their core and needed the back up for Russell and they have got very good back up in form of Cutting. Shakib AL Hasan in such a low price is still and can be very handful in the slower pitches along side varun and Narine.
7. Punjab Kings : They always go with handsome amount of money in the auction and but their main issue is they don’t have strong core Indian bowlers to support Shami. Their spin department is totally depended on two young players. However they tried to issue their death bowler option bringing Jhye Richardson but still they could have gone for experience of umesh and Harbhajan to built strong bowling core.
8. Royal Challengers Bangalore : This team has few big names but apart form that 2-3 big names this team has no x-factor. If VK-AB duo fails this team falls flat and to issue this problem they went for X-Factor Maxwell and lended him a big amount. However the form of Maxwell in last two edition of IPL can worries Virat and team. They also went hard for Kiwis bowler Kyle Jameison to bring experience in their bowling who can perform the role of pich hitter as well. This team always had big names on paper but bottled up in a big matches.
Watch our video analysis as well to have a clear view.